Rhinology Fellowship Program
Majority of the prominent graduates of King Saud University (KSU) Fellowship Training Program have molded their own distinct identity in their chosen fields particularly in the specialty of otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (ORL, H and N surgery). The graduates have gone a long way and have proven their worth. Most of them currently contributing with their perspective shares in extending training to the would-be fellows as well as holding prestigious positions in different hospitals within and/or outside the Kingdom.
Each fellowship program is closely scrutinized and reviewed periodically by the Postgraduate Committee of the ORL, H and N Surgery Department. There are now two subspecialty clinical experience programs at the Department of ORL. One of these is Rhinology. It complies with the standard of the equivalent internationally certified programs.
Goals and objectives of training:
To provide a broad experience in the surgical, clinical and basic science aspects of Rhinology and by the end of the two-year period, the Candidate shall:
- Have a good exposure to all diagnostic, surgical and medical therapeutic cares of nose and paranasal sinuses disorders.
- Be competent in managing all sinonasal disorders at a Consultant level.
- Select and interpret efficiently the outcome measures for determining the efficiency of minimal invasive approach and management for sinus surgery.
- Have adequate exposures to advanced imaging techniques related to the field of rhinology such as CT and MRI and be able to identify the radiological sinonasal pathology at a clinician level.
- Demonstrate the powered instrumentation on how to use it in FESS.
- Assess the role of imaging guided surgery, its application in sinonasal disorders.
- Be trained in the extended uses of FESS and endoscopic managements of anterior skull base defect and tumors.
- Develop competence in the practice and technique of Rhinoplasty.
- Manage the allergic sinonasal disorders by acquiring training in Allergy Division at College of Medicine, King Saud University.
- Learn the methodology and interpretation of nasal air flow studies.
- Learn the pathology and treatment of olfactory disorders.
- Be exposed to advanced oncological procedures of noses and sinuses.
- Be trained on self-updated learning and identify the available resources.
- Develop the skills of conducting and supervising research related to basic science and clinical aspects of Rhinology.
- Having teaching responsibility in the field of Rhinology and be able to promote the science of Rhinology. Develop leadership in the field of Rhinology by which the Candidate will help to improve the current standard of care and educated others.
- The duration of sub-specialty training will be two (2) years.
- The fellow will be under the close supervision of the Rhinology group.
- The start of the fellowship will be 1st of October each year. The application deadline will be 15th of March of the academic year preceding the Fellowship.
- This training includes didactic sessions, clinical care, research opportunities and medical and surgical experience.
- Candidate should pass the final exam and evaluation to get the degree.
a.Evaluations (60% from final marks)
The candidate will be evaluated by his senior using same form in postgraduate candidate in college of medicine (1 is the lowest and 5 is the highest).
b.Final exam (40% from final marks).
Structure and Content of the Program:
- Clinical and Research components
- Elective Period
- Fellow Supervision and Patient Care Responsibilities
- Procedural Requirements
- Didactic Components
The fellow will be required to:
- Study epidemiology, statistical methods, experimental designs, and manuscript preparation including literature researched and the use of computerized and internet databases, so needs to complete a course in statistics in the first year.
- Completion of basic and advanced FESS and Rhinology courses (abroad, and encourage to attend hands-on courses)
- Participate in preparation of all Rhinology division courses and considered as Member In all Rhinology Committee
- Participation in at least 2-4 weeks mini fellowship or clinical attachment (abroad) to see and manage advanced and difficult Rhinology cases and surgery after approval of the program director
- Attend at least one conference (National or International) on Rhinology per year.
- Present and publish at least one paper every year, one could be a case report.