Diabetology Fellowship Program
Diabetes is currently reaching epidemic proportions all over the world. Diabetes Mellitus affects almost quarter of the society in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Overweight and obesity affect greater than 30% of the population. Lipid and thyroid disorders are very prevalent. The prevalence of thyroid cancer is about 6%, second only in its prevalence to breast cancer in women and much higher than in most countries. Other endocrine disorders including the parathyroid disorders, osteomalacia, osteoporosis, pituitary and adrenal disorders are quite prevalent.
Diabetes Fellowship is offered to physicians who have successfully completed their training in any specialties related to diabetes like endocrinology, internal medicine, family medicine, ob gyne, ophthalmology etc. These fellows will be offered opportunity to internally study diabetes in its different type and obesity in addition to nutrition and education. The diabetology fellow is a medical doctor who has completed his training in the above mentioned specialties and is pursuing in depth training in diabetes and its chronic complications in addition to associated diseases related to diabetes.
Diabetology Fellowship of King Saud University (DFKSU) is an intensive training program in diabetology, endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism which aims to graduate a specialized diabetologist and is designed to provide advanced training and experience to the fellow to acquire competence in knowledge, skills and attitude.
- To graduate highly trained diabetologists with skills and clinical competence in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism in order to efficiently diagnose and manage diabetic patients.
- To produce competent, efficient and knowledgeable diabetologist who can provide preventive, outpatient and inpatient services to diabetic patients.
- To graduate a skilled researcher with scientific thinking and experience in data management, analysis and scientific writing.
- To graduate a confident and well trained speaker that can be able to present a scientific, professional and validated point of discussions.
- To provide the fellow the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to pass the certifying examination after completion of the fellowship program.
The fellowship program is two (2) years in duration. The candidate will be granted four (4) weeks of holiday per year, and one (1) Eid holiday per year as determined by the training hospital concerned. All types of leaves will be coordinated with Academics Services Unit, and leave policy of UDC shall apply to the candidate.
To be admitted to the fellowship program, an individual must:
- Provide certification of post graduate subspecialty and related transcripts of records from the graduated university of medicine.
- Provide a certificate of the Saudi Board of Health Sciences or an equivalent recognized degree classified by Saudi Commission for Health Specialties.
- Pass the written examination and interview conducted by University Diabetes Center.
- Provide comprehensive curriculum vitae including all necessary attachments.
- Provide one (1) passport size photo.
- Provide a copy of Saudi national ID or passport.
- Provide three letters of recommendation from the sponsoring institution of the candidate has recently worked with, for a minimum of six (6) months.
- Provide a written permission from the sponsoring institution of the candidate to participate full time for the entire period of the program.
- Pay the annual registration fees or provide sponsorship letter.
- Good standing letter.
- Personal statement.
The candidate has to perform all the following procedures and attend to the following clinics.
- Management of Devices to Deliver Hormones (e.g. Insulin Pump).
- Management of Intravenous Insulin Therapy
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Device
- Supervision of Technical Aspects of Hormone Assays
- Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy Assessment
- Ophthalmology Screening and Fundoscopy Assessment
- Dynamic Testing
- Diabetic Foot Care
- Insulin Desensitization for Patients with Insulin Allergy
- Rheumatology Procedure Related to Diabetes
- Endocrinology Training and Glands Related to Diabetes
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Diabetes Complication
- Nephrology and Diabetic Nephropathy
- Education Skills and Training
- Pediatric Management
- Nutrition Training
- Andrology Evaluation and Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
- Pregnancy and Diabetes Screening and Management
- Journal Review and Presentation
- Clinical Cases Assessment and Presentation
- Teaching Activities
- Research writing, data collection, data analysis and scientific writing.
- Community Services Training
- Screening Programs
- Laboratory Training
Candidates passing the final examination are awarded a specialty certificate of “Diabetology Fellowship of King Saud University”.