The subspecialty of rheumatology includes a wide array of inflammatory, non-inflammatory, and degenerative diseases that affect the musculoskeletal (MSK) and other organ systems. The purpose of rheumatology training programs is to train fellows to be accomplished practitioners and consultants in the rheumatic diseases, as well as encourage the professional and scholarly attitudes and approaches of a competent subspecialist that are needed to maintain an understanding of current concepts in rheumatology as advances occur.
The objectives of the program can be summarized as follows:
- Educate the fellow in the diagnosis and management of patients with rheumatic diseases.
- Ensure that each fellow completing the program has acquired the expertise in performing different joint aspiration and injection.
- Ensure that the fellow will be equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to design and conduct scientifically sound research in the field rheumatology
Purpose of Developing a Program:
The field of rheumatology has evolved and expanded greatly with the many discoveries and introduction of newer effective therapies. The amount of national research published has not been up to the expectations. Unlike other implemented programs, this new program has been developed to include an organized curriculum that includes basic science, clinical skills and research methodology sessions that will hopefully graduates well trained rheumatologists that well have a the necessary tools to improve both quality of care and research in Saudi Arabia.
The training should be held in King Khalid University Hospital and other accredited hospitals.
Duties will include:
- Impatient care of the rheumatology unit
- Outpatient care
- Immunology/biochemistry (2 weeks)
- Physiotherapy/Occupational therapy (2 weeks)
- Pediatric rheumatology (4 weeks)
- Orthopedic surgery (4 weeks)
- Elective (8 weeks)
Half academic day will be held Sunday afternoon (1:30 – 3:30) and will include:
- Theoretical lectures
- Clinical examination sessions
- Journal club
- Joint injection sessions
- Successful completion of a board of internal medicine recognized by the Saudi Council Health Specialties
- Passing the personal interview
- Sponsorship letter for candidates sponsored by other health care facilities.
- Fulfillment of King Saud University requirements.
Upon successful completion of the training duration and final examination the candidate will be awarded King Saud University Rheumatology Fellowship (KSURF).
Contact Numbers: (46) 92502/92503