The Department of Anatomy in the Faculty of Medicine, King Saud University, was established in the same year of the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine in 1389 AH (1969). The Department started its educational activities for students in 1391 AH (1971). The Department began its educational activities for female students in 1394 AH (1974) in the old building in Alisha, Central Riyadh. The Department of Anatomy of Female Students was transferred from its building in Alisha to Al-Malaz building in 1401 AH (1981) and then to the current building at King Saud University in 1431 AH (2014).
The Department of Anatomy at the College of Medicine is primarily a teaching department, though several of its members conduct research in various fields. The Department is responsible for teaching gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy, embryology and neuroscience through integrated courses for years one and two (blocks), head and neck course for dental students, general anatomy courses for pharmacy, and nursing students and periodically offers electives and special courses for other groups of students within the MBBS program and postgraduate students. Also staff are teaching problem based learning (PBL) for first and second year medical students.