About the Department:
To be a national and international pioneer distinguished in scientific research, teaching pathology, and providing diagnostic and care services for the patients.
- Prepare students with strong theoretical and scientific basis in different laboratory medicine branches. With ongoing update and constant development of these branches, this will prepare students to receive clinical sciences in advanced stages and develop their potentials during their careers.
- Encourage scientific research in Pathology and be able to know the pathogenic microbes in order to run lab diagnosis based on a scientific basis. This will help develop this type of specialty and bring benefit to the community.
- Provide medical and advisory services at the highest level to contribute in the treatment of patients.
- Active participation in the training of high qualified competencies at all levels and specialties.
- Provide all the necessary resources to prepare distinguished doctors who possess competent knowledge and skills by creating the appropriate scientific environment that includes well-equipped laboratories, classrooms, and teaching aids at the highest international standards.
- Supervise the training programs for technicians and laboratory specialists, and fellowship candidates in different specialties of pathology: Histopathology, hematology, microbiology and clinical chemistry.
- Encourage scientific research in all branches of laboratory medicine.
- Improve the level of clinical laboratory services provided to KSUMC patients.
Establishment of Pathology Department:
Pathology Department is one of the largest departments in the Faculty of Medicine in King Saud University. It is considered the first medical college established in KSA within the University of Riyadh which later became King Saud University.
Since the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine, Pathology Department and all its units are continuously working on the development of this science in the academic fields, training, research and services. Pathology Department specifically and Medicine college in general have produced highly qualified professional physicians. Pathology Department is striving to do its utmost to improve the quality of teaching and training in order to reach the international standards by developing teaching methods, using modern technology in teaching, and conducting periodic review of the curriculums. Furthermore, the department works on developing teaching staff skills and provide them with the needs to conduct researches.
Pathology Department seeks to raise the level of medical and laboratory quality services provided to patients. The department has received the Canadian Accreditation at the college level, and received the College of American Pathology (CAP) Accreditation for the Diagnostic Laboratories at King Khalid University Hospital and King Abdul Aziz University Hospital which both are being supervised by the department in recognition of the efficient services provided by them.