Welcome to Postgraduate Medical Education at College of Medicine, King Saud University . The College offers 97 including diplomas, master, board, doctorate, and fellowship programs accredited Postgraduate training programs (3 programs in process).The duration of training varies from 1 to 5 years. There are currently approximately 658 trainees, including Residents, Fellows, and International trainees.
The Postgraduate Director and the Office of Postgraduate Medical Education are responsible for:
- Overseeing the administration of all Residency Training Programs at King Saud University
- Liaising with other internal groups and external organizations regarding Postgraduate Medical Education.
- Conducting internal program reviews and arranging external reviews of all Residency Training Programs to ensure they meet the standards of King Saud University and or Saudi Council for Health Specialties.
- promoting cross-disciplinary themes and workshops, and fostering collaboration among Residency Training Programs .
The first postgraduate training was established in 1984 with the approval of the KSU Diploma in Ophthalmology. After 2 years the diploma was converted into the KSU Fellowship in Ophthalmology. From that time onwards, a number of specialties and sub-specialties were established and among them were the KSU Fellowship in Anesthesia, Radiology, Pathology andothers. Currently, there are 97 postgraduate training programs in the College of Medicine; 28 are KSU Fellowship Programs, 3 are KSU Diploma Programs, 6 are combined KSU and Saudi Board Programs, 26 are Saudi Board Programs, 2 are Masters and Doctoral Programs, and 4 postgraduate trainings are still under process of approval.
The college (with its affiliated hospitals) is considered one of the largest postgraduate training center in the Gulf region. It has also been attractive for many Arab nationals who come to do their fellowship training with us.
- To educate and train future health professionals in an innovative learning environment.
- To explore new areas of research and produce significant scientific contributions to the world.
- To provide high quality and compassionate healthcare to the Saudi community.
- To integrate education, research, and healthcare in an inclusive environment.
. To be leading medical school and health care provider that makes a major affect health in Saudi Arabia and contributes significantly to the science and practice of medicine worldwide.
Our Strategic Objectives:
. Improve the quality of postgraduate training programs.
. Integrate research in residency training programs and establish formal research degrees.